Wednesday, December 22, 2010

UP-PGH Hope Bags Project

A few months ago in September, my friend Jun Evaristo invited me to celebrate his birthday in Wards 9 & 11 of the Charity Pediatric Department of UP-PGH. There were poor kids with leukemia, meningitis, and all sorts of other conditions. I was touched by his gesture to help these kids on his special day. What moved me most was when I saw this two-day old baby, born premature with an exposed stomach. He was inside a non-working incubator and being heated with two light bulbs from two reading lamps. Her teenage mom felt helpless for her son, who needed medicines she could hardly afford. One vial of albumin, a protein found inside a mother's womb (very similar to egg white), costs P3,450.00. He needs four vials per day. Back then, all my friends and I could give was a prayer and a vow to find a way to help the kids in whatever way we could.

My friend, Lelet Volfango, and I decided to collaborate and make these Hope Bags to raise funds for the kids in PGH. From a seed money of P10k, and with the help of family, friends, strangers & twitter followers, we were able to raise about P102,500.00! Do read about our UP-PGH Christmas Special - First installment at www.wewanthope.posterous.com.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

Posted via email from MiriamQ's Universe

No comments: